Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Schwingungen 77 Entertainment - Act I: Notes In Freedom

Schwingungen 77 Entertainment
Act I: Notes In Freedom

Andrea Massaria – Guitar, objects, live electronics
Enrico Merlin – Guitar, kaospad, live electronics
Alessandro Seravalle – Guitar, toys, electronic substratums, samples, live electronics

Just when I thought I somewhat knew what to expect from the Setola Di Maiale label, along comes a curveball, at least for my ears. Act 1: Notes In Freedom contains elements of musique concrète, spoken word, massive amounts of signal manipulation, and occasionally some recognizable elements of electric guitar. 

The writer and poet Edmond Jabes’ quote “Banality is not harmless: It drives you furious” is featured on the CDR sleeve, and one would never call this record banal. Notes on the label website state that the work is inspired by Italian futurism, and I get the sense that the twelve tracks have a conceptual link, an aural equivalent to a Dadaist play.

This recording is well outside my frame of reference – I wouldn’t say it comes within a country mile of jazz, or even what most of us think of as free improv - but if you’ve got open ears and want to keep up with developments in guitar music, this is something you should check into.

1 comment:

  1. well...thank you very much for your kind words.
    (Alessandro Seravalle)

    ReplyDelete